Miziwe Biik is seeking to hire a facilitator to coordinate an Aboriginal Youth Empowerment conference that will be held in March 2014.
The conference will serve 100 youth from the GTA, in areas of skills training, employment, and leadership.
The successful candidate will:
• Develop the conference terms of reference with input from Aboriginal youth in the GTA;
• Identify a location to host the event;
• Identify speakers that will inspire and empower Aboriginal youth through accessible, creative, fun, and engaging activities.
• Develop workshops and key note addresses that will introduce youth to a variety of alterative skill building, leadership, creative, expressive and career inspiring experiences as well as promote healthy lifestyles.
• Conduct research, make site visits, and find resources to help Miziwe Biik staff make decisions regarding event possibilities;
• Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters;
• Negotiate and book contracts for conference space, arrange food and beverage services, order conference supplies and book audiovisual equipment;
• Assist with managing on-site production, with for event clean up as necessary and event close outs as required;
• Prepare packages, gift bags, registration lists, seating cards, etc.
• Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports on event projects/stages to Miziwe Biik staff/Director;
• Keep track of event finances including cheque requests, invoicing, and reporting;
• Coordinate appointments and visits to the conference space, and schedule important events on a calendar;
• Prepare and modify event contracts as required; and
• Perform any other such duties required to organize, complete and report on a successful conference.
The successful candidate will have experience working with youth and developing programming aimed at youth. Experience working for the Aboriginal community is essential and required in order to understand the unique needs of Aboriginal youth.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with attention paid to grammar, spelling and proofreading;
• Ability to manage multiple projects while working with effectively with Miziwe Biik and conference staff and volunteers;
• Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with a high degree of professionalism;
• Ability to accomplish projects with little supervision; and
• At least 1 year of experience coordinating special events.
Please submit your resume and a one page summary of your proposed design for a youth conference based on the criteria above.
Deadline for the receipt of your submission by fax, email or post/courier is Friday, November 15, 2013 at 12 Noon
Jennifer Abbott, Special Projects Manager 167 Gerrard Street East, Toronto, ON. M5A 2E4